"It's Good To Be First In Fairness"
Our Mission is TO ensure equal opportunity for all people of Delaware by protecting against practices that discriminate based on race, color, age, religion, marital status, familial status, national origin, or persons with disability. TO promote amicable relationships among the various racial, ethnic, religious, gender, age, social and cultural groups within the state. TO educate the community at large regarding discrimination of all types, including sexual orientation and economic status. To achieve this goal, the Office performs the following functions:
- Investigate, negotiate and settle housing and public accommodation discrimination complaints;
- Promote amicable relations among all racial, cultural and ethnic groups;
- Provide clerical, administrative and fiscal support to the State Human Relations Commission and assist in monitoring the State Affirmative Action Plan;
- Conduct educational seminars on discrimination, fair housing, public accommodations and hate issues;
- Serve as staff for the State Equal Employment Opportunity Council;
- Receive, investigate and mediate/conciliate incidents of discrimination, bias and disparate treatment as it relates to schools, prisons, neighborhood tension, hate crime and police conflict.