“It’s Good To Be First In Fairness”
The Division of Human Relations is the agency in Delaware responsible for enforcing State Fair Housing Law, Federal Fair Housing Law and Equal Accommodations Law. The Division also participates in the mediation of hate crimes, police and community conflict, school related issues and state employment. Knowledgeable and experienced Division staff conduct training on fair housing and equal accommodations to residents, community groups, housing providers, businesses and other organizations.
As part of our commitment to civil rights in Delaware, the Division actively conducts outreach/education throughout the state so that every resident can live free of unlawful discrimination…..
Our mission is to:
- Ensure equal opportunity for all people in Delaware by protecting against practices that discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, persons with disability, age, marital status, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity and source of income.
- Promote amicable relationships among the various racial, ethnic, religious, age, social and cultural groups within the state.
- Educate the community regarding discrimination of all types.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Investigate, negotiate and settle housing and public accommodations discrimination complaints;
- Receive, investigate and mediate/conciliate incidents of discrimination, bias and disparate treatment as it relates to schools, prisons, neighborhoods and communities, police conflict and hate crimes;
- Provide administrative and fiscal support to the State Human Relations Commission and assist in monitoring the state Affirmative Action Plan;
- Serve as staff for the State Equal Employment Opportunity Council;
- Conduct educational seminars and training workshops on fair housing and equal accommodations laws, human relations, discrimination, diversity and hate issues;
- Participate in community events, fairs and festivals to outreach, educate and inform Delaware residents of their rights.
We invite you to explore our website and learn more about the Division of Human Relations and YOUR rights to fair housing and equal accommodations.